Social Security Card is essential when it comes to employment issues in the United States. You need to have a social Security card to enable the government follow up with your lifetime earnings as well as the number of years you have worked. SSC has a nine digit number that helps the US government to track all these activities.
This card might be helpful to you when you reach your retirement age or if incase there would be a need for you to receive Social Security disability-income. Through your Social Security contribution information, the government will be able to determine your eligibility in addition to your benefit payments. Often many people use the same SS number in their entire lives however, because of identity theft or lost of the SSD some people might be forced to apply for a replacement number through external services like https://lostsscard.com/lost-birth-certificate-social-security-card/.
Why you need a SS Number.
For any individual living in the US when you get hired, it is essential to have your SS number to secure a job, which is the first thing your employer will ask you. This will help the accounting department to report your income to the required Internal Revenue Service (IRS). They will also use your SS number to report your stated Social Security wage to the required Social Security Administration.
Employers use these SS number for the purposes of state income tax-reporting. Employers use E-verify program to confirm if their employees can work in the US legally. it is essential for anyone living in the Unites State to acquire a SS number to get employed.
When you have already applied for a SS card and it get lost or stolen, you should apply for a replacement. Normally, there are no charges apply for this service thus it is free for all.
Procedure for applying a lost social security card
You can request for a replacement of your SS card through online portal of “my Social Security account” but only if you are:
- US citizen of 18 yrs old and above with a valid U.S mailing address
- aren’t requesting for change of name or any other changes to the SS card
- and lastly if you have a valid driving license
If it happens that you can’t apply for a SS card online then you are required to show the required documents to the required authority. Different documents are needed and that depends with your citizenship as well as the Card type requested.
The documents needed to prove that you are a US citizen includes;
- US passport
- US birth Certificate.
- To prove age
- To show proof of your age, it is necessary to show your birth certificate but incase you do not have one then you might provide these for acceptance;
- A religious record made before you reached age 5 and shows your real date of birth
- A valid US passport
- A U.S hospital records in reference to your birth.
- For anyone age 12 years and above requesting for a SS number for the first time must appear for an interview in
person. Certain evidence are required to show that you don’t have a SS number
and this include;
- For individuals who have lived outside the US for certain duration of time might use their current or [previous passport, employment or school records and any other record to show their long-term residence that is outside the US to show that they don’t own a SS number.
- For individual who have lived in the US, you may be required to show the information about the school attended or to issue the copies of tax-records so as to show that you haven’t applied for a SS number before.
To prove identity
To prove your identity, you are required to provide valid documents that are up-to-dae and show your full names as well as your identifying information such as age or date of birth and a photograph of you preferably a recent one. These documents include;
- US driving license
- A valid US passport or issued non-driver identification card from the state
Therefore, if it happens that you don’t have any of these specified documents or you are unable to get a replacement for either of them within a time frame of 10 days then you will be ask to provide other documents to facilitate the replacement of your SS card. All documents submitted must valid and current. They should also show your full names and identifying information that includes your age or date of birth as well as your recent photograph preferably.
Other documents you might be ask to provide includes;
- Identification cards from the US military, Employee and School.
- Health Insurance-card
After having all the required documents to show then you are required to fill them out and then print a SS card application thereafter, you can mail your application as well as the documents required to your nearest office for local Social Securit as you wait for their response.